Wednesday 9 November 2011

Unit 1 Part C: The feedback of questionnaire (Criss Chaney)

Your name: Criss Chaney     The genre of artwork: Glass Sculpture
1. What does Art mean to you? How do you define this term?
Art is how we express the intangible aspects of being human, it's a way in which we can explore our surroundings and lives, and a pathway towards making sense and meaning of our experiences. It can be a method of communication with others or with our own subconscious. 
2.How do you describe yourself?
I'm a glass artist- or more precisely- a California Glass Artist Rockin it in Britain
3. What do you think the job role of artist?
I would say the role of an artist is to explore and interpret. To explore materials, to explore culture, philosophy, themselves, its important to always be trying new things and learning from them. 
4. How important as the Art talent for you?
Oooh that's hard to say really, I always try to infuse a bit of art into anything I make. I admire many different artists for many different reasons, not just to do with their artistic talent. 

5. How has your family background influenced the way you at Arts studying?
I was always encouraged to be creative, I had so many painting a drawing kits, and I used to take drawing classes with my mother when I was about 6. My mother also did stained glass before I was born, and all through my childhood she always told me how much she loved it, but we could never find anywhere to take classes. Finally I managed to take a class in high school, and I was hooked on glass. The following summer we cleared out her garage, and I dug out all her old equipment and set up a studio, and for my first project I made her a big window for her store.
6. Which artist/artists do you like most?
Oh so many, there's Willaim Morris for his earthly feel and I've always been fascinated with prehistory
Judith Schaechter for her expressive illustrations, and reinventing traditional stained glass techniques
Bruno Romanelli for his sheer mastery of kiln glass and the play between opacity and transparency
Alex Bernstein for his technique in combining glass and metals and playing on opacity, translucency, and color

7. How did they influenced you?
I think I take what I like best from each of them and try to use it when I make my own sculptures, reinterpreting them into my own voice.

8. Which organisations support you now? Where are your mainly income from?
My main income is from working in Starbucks, I also do a bit of freelance online marketing, and classes, and I sell my work. At the moment Creative Cohesion is supporting me, providing affordable facilities and space to make my work, as well as opportunities to run classes and community workshops. 

9. How do you continued to develop your skills?
I just try to learn as much as I can by reading and asking, and then I try to make as much as possible, test new ideas for myself and see how they come out. 




10. What’s your career goal? How could you to come true it?
I would like to travel around the world, making art. I imagine that I could do it by working with other artists assisting them in their studios and making my own work, as well as getting residencies around the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment